Peter McIntyre was born in Dunedin in 1910. He began studying at Otago University before dropping out and travelling to London where he was accepted at the Slade School of Fine Art. Following his graduation, he worked as a free-lance commercial artist, his work including theatre productions, restaurant murals as well as serials for magazines. His own contemporary painting of the period was in the Cubist and English avant-garde styles.
When war broke-out he tried to enlist in the British army but was rejected. The New Zealand army accepted him, and he went to Cairo with the 2nd New Zealand Division. His artist talents were recognised, and he completed work for the Parade magazine as well as completing many landscapes and portraits of fellow soldiers. General Freyberg became aware of his talents and in 1941 appointed him an official war artist. As time progressed, he was allowed to work near the frontlines creating drawings of events as they unfolded, using these as the basis for his later painting. This work was described as romantic realism.
After the war he returned to New Zealand first settling in Dunedin before moving to Wellington. He continued to paint winning awards, books of his work were published and there were significant exhibitions at major institutions. He is high recognised for his contribution to New Zealand art.
Image Dimensions: 500mm W x 470mm H
Framed Dimensions: 760mm W x 670mm H