Esther Studholme Hope (nee Barker) (1885 - 1975) was born in Woodbury, near Geraldine in 1885. She studied painting at with Margaret Stoddart before in 1911 going to England where she attended The Slade School of Art. She then spent time painting in Europe exhibiting at both the Royal Academy London and the Paris Salon.
In 1914 when war broke-out she was living in Brittany. For the next 4 years she drove lorries on the London docks and later worked as a VAD in Malta.
In 1919 she returned to New Zealand and soon after married Henry Hope a Mackenzie basin farmer. Hope is mainly known for her watercolour and gouache landscapes.
Her work is held in the collections of Christchurch Art Gallery and Te Papa.
Image Dimensions: 540mm W x 365mm H
Framed Dimensions: 750mm W x 580mm H